Medical Science & Computing (MSC) is an exciting growth oriented company, dedicated to providing mission critical scientific and technical services to the Federal Government. We have a distinguished history of supporting the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and other government agencies. MSC offers a dynamic and upbeat work environment, excellent benefits and career growth opportunities.
We attract the best people in the business with our competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, 401k plan with employer contribution, paid holidays, vacation, Medical and Flexible Spending Accounts, Pre-Tax Transit Assistance and tuition reimbursement. If you enjoy being a part of a high performing, professional service and technology focused organization, please apply today!
We are currently searching for a Parasitologist to provide support to the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This opportunity is a permanent, full-time position with MSC and it is on-site in Bethesda, Maryland.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform and interpret parasitology testing.
- Perform laboratory procedures for microbiology specimen handling and processing, test analyses; report and maintain records of patient test results.
- Work with staff on specimen processing and test performance of moderate to high complexity tests, such as MRSA, C. difficile and VRE PCR.
- Check the positive control and the unknown slides after the staining method is finished to ensure that the result is correct.
- Monitor, troubleshoot, and initiate or take corrective action to maintain stain quality, including detection of reagent problem, equipment malfunction or need to replace reagents.
- Follow the laboratory’s established policies and procedures when test systems are not within the laboratory’s established acceptable levels of performance.
- Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results; correct problem or notify staff; document all corrective actions taken.
- Communicate and consult with pertinent medical personnel regarding collection procedures; troubleshoot any problems with the specimen or documentation.
- Document all quality control activities, instrument calibrations and maintenance preformed.
- Perform proficiency testing in the same manner as patient specimens.
- Maintain records of instrument failure, troubleshooting and QC.
- Organize daily work based on priorities and needs of the laboratory and patients.
- Inventory reagents and supplies required.
- Collaborate with staff to evaluate new techniques; perform comparative studies with older technology; perform evaluations to determine new guidelines.
- Comply with accrediting and inspections agency requirements participating in activities associated with the laboratory accreditation process.
- Bachelor’s degree in a science related discipline.
- Minimum of four (4) years of experience in clinical Microbiology or MT (ASCP).
- Competence in parasitology testing and interpretation.
- Ability to lift 10 – 30 pounds.
- Excellent hand-eye coordination.
- Strong communications skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and time management skills.
Medical Science & Computing is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.